We had several inches of rain last Thursday. Not something we’ve had very often here in California recently. I got a text from Bob while I was in a meeting – There’s almost a 7 foot tide behind Scat! right now! (High tide us usually a little over 5 feet). At about the same time, some people in the meeting got messages that our Napa office was closing due to flash flood warnings. Scat! is docked in Vallejo on the Napa River. When I got out of the meeting I called him, and the conversation went something like this:
Me: There’s flash flooding in Napa right now.
Bob: I’m going to go down and check on Scat!
Bob was in Sacramento – about an hour’s drive away from Scat! on a good day. I was about half an hour farther away.
Me: YOU’RE NOT GOING WITHOUT ME!! AND I HAVE THE JEEP! (Looking at the giant green, yellow and red Doppler radar blob over Napa and Vallejo) You’re DEFINITELY not going in the Veloster. And what can we do when we get there, anyway? We can’t take her out. We might not even be able to get out to her. We could only watch.
Bob: WE CAN CRY!
We got off the phone and I decided to call the Marina to see if there was anything terrible happening. I left a message and got an almost immediate call back from the VERY excited harbor master. I told her I was a nervous new boat owner, and was wondering how things were going down there. She said that water had come within a foot from the top of the sea wall and the Promenade, but things were ok after the King Tide and that they had checked all the docks to make sure all the boats were ok. Several buildings had flooded, and roof was leaking in her building, but the boats were all ok. That was the important part. Whew! We decided to go home to our cozy cottage instead.